A subset of civil lawsuits, family cases typically include disagreements among concerned parents, spouses, and kids. Cases involving domestic issues can be handled in various ways in family courts. For further details about family law, click here. The following are the most frequent matters resolved in family court. Have a look. 

Marriage Dissolution

A family court case can be started by someone who wishes to dissolve their marriage to get a divorce decree. By filing for divorce or annulment, marriages may be dissolved. 

In cases when the parties are still legally married, but the court grants a separation, the court makes decisions about assets, alimony, and child custody.

Child Care

Either parent may bring a case where the family tries to decide paternity when a man must be acknowledged as the child’s father. It confirms the child’s paternity incontrovertibly. 

Unmarried parents may also apply to the court to establish visitation schedules, child support obligations, and physical and legal custody arrangements.

Domestic violence protection orders

As the name suggests, domestic violence victims can request protection orders from the family court to have their abuser stay away.

Name alterations

A name change lawsuit in family court is the only way for a kid or adult to alter their name officially. There is no other official way to change the name unless and until the court authorizes it. 


Making decisions about who will handle personal, financial, and medical matters for a person of any age who is incapable of looking after themselves involves selecting a guardian.

Adoptions and the termination of parental rights

The legal system may terminate a parent’s rights if there are compelling reasons why they shouldn’t continue to be a child’s parent (such as desertion, neglect, abuse, etc.). Suppose someone else wishes to become a kid’s legal father. In that case, the family court has the authority to sanction an adoption in which the parent-child bond is legally established.

Juvenile Issues

The family court handles charges of child abuse, neglect, or cases in which juveniles are allegedly involved in illicit activity.

The District Attorney’s Juvenile Division is primarily in charge of these proceedings. For minors younger than 14, the family court may also grant employment permits.


Besides this, a family court also helps solve the cases of emancipation and acceptance of child marriage. Underage individuals can apply to the family court for permission to marry or be “emancipated,” which refers to legally being released from parental authority.