If you sustained injuries in the course of your work, you may be eligible for worker’s compensation benefits. These benefits include medical treatment and wage assistance as you recover from your injuries. In Pennsylvania, these benefits are not taxed like regular income. An injury-related settlement or workers’ compensation money that you get from the company you are working for while you cannot return to work doesn’t carry a tax burden. Thus, you do not report it on a W2 or 1099. To maximize your benefits, you should consider hiring Philadelphia, PA workers’ compensation attorneys to assist you with the claims process.

Calculating Wage Replacement Benefits

If you cannot go to work due to a work-related injury or illness, you can get temporary partial or total disability payments. Since wage replacement benefits under workers’ comp are limited, you should not be taxed. Often, the entire amount is necessary, so you can pay bills and living expenses as you recover from your injuries. 

Often, you are entitled to 2/3 of your average weekly salary. However, your benefits depend on whether your salary falls within the weekly minimums or maximums the state establishes every year. Rates are calculated according to a formula Pennsylvania sets up. Although this formula is the same for all employees, the amount you can get is different because it is based on your salary. 

If you settle your case for a lump sum, you won’t get payments every week. Rather, you agree to a total that can cover your medical bills. Because the terms of each settlement are different, your experience will be different from others, even if you suffered the same workplace injuries. 

Are You Eligible for Workers’ Comp Benefits?

If your injuries are sustained on the job, they should be covered by workers’ comp insurance. Workers’ compensation covers immigrant workers and volunteers injured at work. If you are self-employed, coverage only applies if you have paid for a policy that covers you in addition to your workers. To qualify for workers’ comp benefits, you should be an employee and must have sustained the injury in the scope and course of your employment. 

Ensure your report your job-related injury or illness to your employer right away. Not reporting on time could negatively affect your ability to get benefits. If the insurer denies your claim or that somebody told you that your injury or illness is not covered by worker’s compensation, consult with an experienced attorney as soon as possible.